Sunday, July 08, 2007

 

Hospitality...

So we are back from the west coast...it was great, and I hope to get some photos up here soon. In the meantime, we are trying to get back into the swing of regular hospitality here at home. We had some delightful guests over for supper last night. I cooked for a few hours, but that is not a hardship for me. Truth be told, I can get sucked in to cooking/baking very easily; I'm a "foodie", so I often have to remind myself that indeed, yes, I do have four children and a husband to care for! Food preparation is therapeutic for me (so is ironing, but that is for another post), and I find I am able to think about topics/issues in depth when it's just me, my apron, and some great praise music!

The menu? Oh, of course! I prepared a fresh, green salad with carrots, cucumbers, red peppers, and green onions; next, there was freshly baked french bread~ all soft and yeasty; the main course was fettucine with a meat sauce I made from scratch (it simmered for 3 hours- yum!); and the finishing touch was a chocolate brownie torte (recipe here). Warning: the chocolate brownie torte is very decadent and worth every minute I spent baking it!

It is amazing how simple, good food really does convey warmth, love, and friendship. I didn't make anything elaborate as far as fussiness goes. As a matter of fact, when Rob was in seminary, we would often have friends over and I would make a huge platter of pancakes and set out jugs of ice-cold milk!!

The point is this: whether you are able to serve rack of lamb or Ramen noodles, serve it with love. Not exactly a Hallmark card, but you get my meaning. Sharing the love of Christ through hospitality won't always look the same- I just happen to enjoy doing it with chocolate!

Labels: ,


Comments:
Hi, Suburban Housewife! I've been lurking on your blog for awhile via Coralie's. I just tend not to post comments, but since I've been "outed" as a blogger I'll be sure to let you know when I'm visiting more often. Hope all is well with you guys. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?