Monday, May 15, 2006

 

Clothes, clothes everywhere and not a dress in sight...

Do y'all go retail shopping? I mean lately? Apparently, I haven't been in a long time. I mean, I have bought things for my children- shoes, socks, belts- but rarely do I buy clothes because my children are the only grandchildren on my side of the family....'nuff said!!

But I'm talking about buying clothes for myself here. I haven't done that in a long while. I have run into Goodwill to grab a pair of "casual" khaki pants or a couple of long-sleeved cotton shirts, but I haven't gone into a bonafide retail "anchor" store to buy something for myself in a loooooong time.

Well, last weekend, my mom bought me several things from a retail store- two skirts, a sleeveless sweater, a white undershirt, and three lightweight front-button sweaters. I kept the two skirts and the undershirt, but the other things just didn't "hang" right. Ya know what I mean? I liked them; they were attractive and modest, but they just felt bunchy or something. So I took them back to the store and received a sizable amount of store credit. "Yippee!" said I, "free shopping!"

I thought a new dress would be fun. So I began to look. And look. And look. I swear to y'all the only dresses in that store were bridal dresses and mother-of-the-bride dresses. Oh, don't let me forget to mention the "skirts." The store definitely had skirts. *I am using this term veeeeeery loosely* I am a 34 year-old wife and mother of 4 children. I was in the ladies department of the store- not even the juniors section. All the skirts were higher than mid-thigh, or, if they were longer, were so see-thru that I would be embarrassed to wear them. Do women my age really want to wear clothing like that? Do they seriously think they are in competition for America's Next Top Momma? (pun intended)

I realize y'all are just dying to know what I did...I went straight up to Boys 8-20 section and bought Harrison a new pair of blue jeans. Then I bought my mom a Mother's Day gift (pajamas and a bracelet). Nothing for me...maybe next season.

Comments:
shopping is so frustrating! It seems like all the stores I would most like to shop in--the ones that have classic, modest clothes--are the ones that are ridiculously overpriced. the more reasonably-priced stores have way-too-trendy or else scandalous clothes. I feel your pain!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?