Monday, March 20, 2006

 

We are family...

I am singing the blues these past few days since my sister moved to Florida *sniff*. She took job at a hospital in Panama City and a condo in Ft. Walton Beach. With a pool. And her own private walkway to the beach. I forget- I'm sad why? Oh yeah, because she is 6 hours away now.

My sister is a single gal who happens to be a great friend, a great nurse practitioner, and a great auntie. My kiddos think she hung the moon. Not created it, mind you. We have given them theological training!! There were many tears on Saturday when we said "goodbye"; until Faith uttered those 15 magical words, "Ft. Walton is only a 45 minute plane ride and $38 round trip from Atlanta." All of a sudden, my children were envisioning solo flights to the beach, body-surfing in the ocean, cannonballing into the pool, and seafood feasts at the local restaurant. Oh, and seeing Aunt Faith would be great too!! Self-centered little beasts! Everyone knows I will be the first one on the plane to Ft. Walton; soaking up the rays; engrossed in a great book; sipping ice cold, sweetened tea; popping succulent shrimp scampi into my mouth....Um, huh, um. Sorry, just a little daydreaming there!

Seriously, I do have some concerns. How can we cultivate our relationship with this new distance? In what ways can I serve her, both spiritually and practically? (How can I cut my grocery budget to start saving for plane tickets?) Oops! Did I say that out loud? Let me hear from y'all. I know there are some gals out there who have siblings in another state. Tell me, how do you do it? I eagerly await feedback...

Comments:
Hey Sherri! Missed you and your family yesterday! I look forward to hearing others' comments about this subject too as my little sis is far away and I need some practical tips too. I'm sorry that I don't have anything profitable to add! Love you, Rebecca
 
Awww, I understand, my brother moved to TX recently. We are good friend and I really miss him. I don't really have any advice though.

Blessings, Amie
 
E-mail...e-mail...e-mail! I stay in contact with my sisters...daily...I don't ever have to wake them up with a phone call...I don't ever disturb them with a knock on the door...and we feel like we really know what is going on. Of course, you're going to have to spend several long weekends...every once in awhile....with her...there's no mail--e-mail or snail mail...that satisfies the need to laugh with, cry with, and hug your sister!

Diane
 
My sister moved all the way across the country several years ago and I've only seen her three times since then. We still have a great relationship though. Email is a great way to keep in touch regularly, as are those "unlimited" long distance phone plans! Our children keep in touch by sending each other little letters with drawing they made for each other. Sometimes will put in stickers, balloons etc.too.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?