Saturday, January 21, 2006

 

Martha, Martha...

As the title of my post indicates, I am going to share a little something about busy-ness and service. Have you ever experienced the feeling where your heart is so full of what God has shown you that you don't know quite how to express it to others? Yes? Well, my feelings exactly, so please bear with me as I try to explain.

Remember when I mentioned that Rob works in sales? To be specific, he sales any type of low-voltage needs to offices: cctv, phone systems, fire, security, data networking, wifi, surround sound, etc. I know I am leaving something out, but you get the gist, I'm sure. Anyway, sales for his company works like this: sell something in January and reap the commission in March- so a two month layover, basically. By the way, you might want to jump over to his blog to read what he posted about salesmanship... not now, of course, but after you're done here!!! There is a lot of opportunity to learn about trusting in the Lord in sales work, as with most any other job.

In our former life, when Rob was referred to as Pastor Rob- another time, another post ladies- he was given a severance check for 2.5 months salary that, by God's grace, has lasted us almost 5 months. But Rob, being the diligent provider for our family that he is, notices the dwindling savings and feels the pressure to make/close those sales. Please note: I am not breaking confidence with my husband here- I have his blessing to share these things.

Fast forward to care group on Thursday night...Rob was asking for prayer when JohnMark read the portion of scripture Luke 10:38-42. Remember how Jesus went to Mary and Martha's home and Martha was busy with preparations and serving? And how Mary just sat at Jesus' feet to hear Him teach? But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but only one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the better portion, which will not be taken away from her."

And so JohnMark just looked up and asked, "Are you so busy trying to provide that you aren't worshipping?" Okay, well, WOW! Just, WOW! Think with me here: Rob has been busy going out, working long hours, and I've been home trying to make those pennies scream from being stretched and these things are GOOD- just like Martha's serving and preparations were GOOD- but Mary was learning from and worshipping the Christ. She was doing the better thing.

And so my heart is full. The worry is gone, forgiven and my heart is ready to worship and listen to God. Again, such a simple truth, but such a profound impact.

garish (adjective) too bright or gaudy; showy

Comments:
Sherri!
Thank you for sharing this! We're in a similar situation of not knowing where the money's going to come from to pay for the needs, as you well know, but God used you to remind me to rest in Him! Worship Him! That's the best thing to do, and the only thing to do. Thank you for your encouraging blog. Love in Christ, Rebecca
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?