Wednesday, December 28, 2005

 

Communicating with my children...

Well, ladies (I am assuming a female readership here) I am going to bring to y'all something the Lord has laid on my heart concerning my communication with my children. God often uses the funniest things to get my attention.

So, last night I was reading The Well Trained Mind by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer and came upon a section regarding language development in preschoolers. Mrs. Wise explained that a language-rich household is key for strong reading skills. In other words, talk to your children. Well there's a big no brainer!! But do we do this? The "Wise women" (ha! I'm sure they've never heard that before!) gave various examples like explaining how you cook breakfast, how you send a fax, how you measure dry ingredients, etc. Explaining the "why" is important as well. Basically, this type of conversation/teaching brings our little ones out of a strictly preschool communication mode. (Note: Please understand I am paraphrasing here)

I was sharing this information with my husband, Rob, and he made such an excellent observation that I felt I had received an epiphany! He asked, "How much do we really talk/communicate with our children outside of correction?" INSTANT CONVICTION!! Thank you Lord, once again, for the gift of my Rob. Sometimes I get so caught up in the busy-ness of my day, my chores, my lesson plans, my supper preparations that I don't take time to actually talk with my children.

The lesson? The conviction in my heart came because I realized I am not wholly following the command in Titus 2:4 to "...love their (my) children..." The love here in the Greek is phileo which means- among other things- "a tender, affectionate love." How am I being "tender and affectionate" if I mostly communicate to my precious ones through correction? But praise be to God! In Romans 8 we are told, "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus..." Why is this, ladies? It is because of the cross! Because of Jesus' work on the cross we are no longer slaves to sin. We have the power- in the Spirit- to obey His commands!

So, organize your household chores; keep a binder- as some do; make your weekly lesson plans; be diligent to prepare meals for your family. But please, women, include your children in these things. Explain to them that because of all Christ has lavishly poured out to us in blessing we want to return thanks by being good stewards of those blessings. To you out there who have failed in this area, as I, take this encouragement. And to those of you who already practice this, excel still more!!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?